Your information will not be shared. Ever.
Home » » An Instructor's Zumba Fitness Journey

An Instructor's Zumba Fitness Journey

Now I want to share with you my journey into Zumba Fitness and why I teach it.
My journey started about eight years ago. The gym I belonged to was playing Latin music one day when I had come to work out. I naturally asked, "Why the Latin music?" They had said they were starting a new program at the gym called Zumba Fitness. I asked when the class was because I wanted to check it out.
Now I will take you way back to 2001, when I went to Mexico for my wedding anniversary. While I was there I loved all the catchy Latin beats and could not help but want to move to them. All over the resorts, tours and night clubs they were playing this amazing music. Now mind you I have no idea what they were saying but there was something very intoxicating about it.
OK back to the gym, when I heard this music I knew I had to attend this class, I was hooked. I went to every Zumba Fitness class they offered at the gym I belonged to. I took the classes for about a year or but they reduced the amount of classes they were offering for some reason. I didn't want the party to stop! I asked my instructor, how can I teach Zumba Fitness? She told me to visit their website to get more information and try attending a training session
So I did. I attended my Zumba Fitness B1 instructor training in Toronto in June of 2009. Yes I was crazy enough to drive eight hours there and back with a full day of training in between! I also traveled with another instructor from the gym that I was a member of as she was also taking the training.
I had talked to people at the gym I belong to and thought to myself, how cool would that be to have been a member of this gym for more than 20 years and now may be teaching there. Well let's just say they put me through even more training, months of it actually, I was forced to drag my then two year daughter all over the place for trainings and such and in the end I was disappointed. So I had two choices, give it all up or become the best Zumba Fitness instructor I could be.
Naturally I chose to not give up without a fight! I practiced probably four to six hours a day at my home. I then learned of a substitute job and took it. This place gave me a chance and I am forever grateful. They had nicely told me I needed some work and I knew that. They had me attend their instructor's class and she was very nice. I learned a lot from her.
She would let me do a song in front of her class if I had one ready so I could get used to being in front of people. Once I was confident enough I sent out resumes all over! Some places asked me to do auditions for them and said I was not what they were looking for.
The first teaching job I got was at The Vollmer Center in 2009 and I am still there today! All through the years I have taught at many locations but I still remain at The Vollmer Center as I love my group, some people have been with me from the start.
I love teaching for many reasons. I still love the Latin music. I love making people happy and feel good about themselves. I love helping people reach their goals and I have made many great friends in the process.
To those I have met along my journey, thank you. I never gave up and hung in there. I love where I am today happy and confident.
I invite you to visit my Zumba Fitness blog at http://www.inplaymagazine.com/zumba-fitness
Cheers! Jodie K.
Share this article :

Post a Comment

 
Company Info | Contact Us | Privacy policy | Term of use | Widget | Advertise with Us | Site map
Copyright © 2014-2015. Good Health and Fitness . All Rights Reserved.